Annual General Meeting - Wednesday, December 1, 2021
At the Annual General Meeting of the Board of Education, the Board elected the Board Chair, Board Vice-Chair, and the British Columbia Public School Employers’ Association (BCPSEA) and the Board representatives to the British Columbia School Trustees Association (BCSTA).
Vision, Values, and Beliefs
Our Core Values
The Saanich School District has five interrelated core values that provide the foundation for our actions and decisions:
- Compassion: Being empathetic and helpful
- Fairness: Being just and equitable
- Honesty: Being truthful, open and sincere
- Responsibility: Being transparent, answerable and accountable
- Respect: Being considerate and receptive
The Board of Education, on behalf of and based on consultation with the broader community, is committed to acting on the following beliefs:
- Public education is fundamental to our democratic society and provides equity and equality of opportunity for all children
- Public schools have the responsibility to prepare young people to be active, participatory members of the community who contribute to a healthy, diverse, socially responsible and environmentally sustainable society
- Public education is the responsibility of the whole community. Policy decisions made locally by elected boards of education and provincially by government must reflect the values and aspirations of a democratic society
- Healthy relationships are the foundation of a successful public education system
Public education is fundamental to a democratic society and is key to providing equality of opportunity for all children. Educational decision-making in School District 63 (Saanich) is guided by the principles of active learning and the values of compassion, fairness, honesty, responsibility and respect.
The Board of Education's goals are:
- To build broad community support for public education and to advocate for adequate funding and decision making by elected public representatives.
- To prepare learners to be active citizens in building a society that is cohesive, socially responsible and environmentally sustainable.
- To recognize the importance of learners’ achievements in a wide range of intellectual, aesthetic and physical domains, and to support their growth in emotional and physical well-being, and social responsibility.
- To support flexible and relevant learning experiences.
- To improve opportunities for early learners and to improve adult literacy.
- To demonstrate and foster strong, positive relationships among adults and with learners and to ensure that their voices are heard and respected.
- To ensure that the school district's capital assets are used to support educational needs and/or for public community uses.